Dec 29, 2007

Church |RE|framed

It's Saturday and church is around the corner. I'm already battling with my false self, the one that says, "you don't need that!", or "it's a waste of time". I honestly believe these things at times,usually every Saturday and Sunday morning. I think part of it comes from being a washout as a pastor. Too young, too ignorant, too self absorbed. I'm coming to believe that I'm supposed to go through these battles in my cranial conversation. I'm beginning to come to terms that I will ALWAYS be dissatisfied with church. I will ALWAYS be able to pick out something wrong, ignored, incongruent, or blatantly hypocritical. That will always be the case if I go without checking myself. I will see several hundred people tomorrow, some familiar, most unfamiliar, but each is one of my ABBA's beloved. I wonder how the ABBA of Jesus will view church tomorrow? I wonder what He will think of all the noise and distractions? Maybe, those things aren't even on His radar. Maybe He's more in tune with comforting the widow crying out in her loneliness, or the young couple struggling with infertility, or the family celebrating the safe return of their son from a tour of duty in Iraq. I'm sure he's gonna be paying attention to the high school girl who was just rejected by her best friend's. I think He has bigger things on His plate than my petty petitions and complaints. I pray that this Sunday I can go to church with the desire to worship my ABBA, by sharing in His concerns for His beloved. Will you join me?

3 comments:

Jeromy said...

I am learning that there is a big difference between recognizing/living out your pastoral gifting and holding the office/title of pastor. Perhaps God does not want us to be a pastor, but to BE a pastor...make sense? Thanks for the reminder to look for those whom God is focused on and concerned for. Even if it is just one.

By the way, when are you going to make your way over to Wordpress?

jon | M | holmes said...

At some point I will. I just don't have the time to mess around and figure out stuff now. I'm trying to make sure I am writing first. I 'll try and take a peak at it today if I can. Also, what is the attraction of wordpress over blogger?

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to find the balance between the discontent He creates and the discontent my own junk creates.

BTW, wordpress is much better.